Best Thing I Drank This Week

Three Sticks Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

I enjoyed this this stunning bottle of Sonoma cab at the Hollywood Bowl last night. Believe me, the fireworks in the bottle were far more impressive than those on stage. It is technically a cab because of it’s 75% cabernet content, but the remaining 25% Malbec makes it more of a Bordeaux-style blend. And though it ain’t cheap (about $65 from the winery), you will never find an ’05 Bordeaux it’s price range that comes anywhere close to matching its complex, lush notes. Bravo!

Becker Steinhauer 2008

A classic kabinett. Peachy fruit notes perfectly balanced with racey acidity. Pairs well with the dog days of summer. About $15 at the LCBO (Ontario).